Who else is reluctant to let go of pumpkin yet? *raises hand*
I might be hanging on to the festiveness and yuletide cheer from the holiday season. It’s not that I’m reluctant for the new year, it’s just that I am enjoying the vestiges of the old one. That’s not a crime, right?
So I know most of you may be off sweet treats for a while after indulging during the holidays but I couldn’t resist sharing this recipe with you – a healthier dessert option is hard to say no to! I know, I know; it’s tempting to want to stay away from desserts out of guilt and give them up completely, but I certainly know from experience that restricting one’s dietary lifestyle often doesn’t lead to a good outcome (i.e. it usually results in binging). Besides, having things in moderation and making smarter and better choices will let you have your cake and eat it too (or, in this case, pumpkin cheesecake chocolate bars!)
These bars are only naturally sweetened with honey and are made with whole wheat flour which lends to their wholesomeness. Let’s also not forget that these are jam-packed with fiber and healthy fats from the pumpkin and coconut oil as well as the boost of antioxidants from the dark chocolate shell. So you can definitely feel good about eating one (or three) of these.
And they are so easy to put together! My favorite part may just have to be that decadent, chocolate-y shell on top! Be still, my beating heart. And as with most of my recipes, this can easily come together with minimal effort.
I truly hope you enjoy these! They’re
seemingly sinful (but actually healthy)
& have an irresistible shortbread-esque crust
Now go and toast to a new year and new beginnings with these beauties! Cheers to 2017, friends. x
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE CHOCOLATE BARS
A more wholesome and healthier dessert option you can feel good about eating!
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cup pumpkin
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 tsp flaxmeal
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life Foods brand)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- To make the crust, add the baking soda and salt to the flour in a large bowl and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the honey and coconut oil until well incorporated and add to the dry ingredients. Fold the wet into the dry until a dough comes together and press into greased or parchment-lined 8×8″ pan in an even layer.
- To assemble the filling, combine the pumpkin, cream cheese, flax meal, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl (use the “wet ingredients” bowl from making the crust to save on dirtying more dishes!). Pour over the top of the crust, using a spatula to create a smooth, even layer if necessary.
- Bake for 55 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave them inside the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and allow to cool on the countertop. In the meantime, make the chocolate shell by combining the chocolate chips and 2 tsp coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate and coconut oil have thoroughly melted. Pour over the cooled bars in an even layer and allow to set. Refridgerate for faster results.
This post was in partnership with Enjoy Life Foods. All opinions and texts are my own.