Energy balls may be one of my faaaaavorite snacks on the planet .. especially when they’re homemade! They’re portable, easy to make, and extremely versatile when it comes to ingredients!
Forget the Whole Foods snackies, friends (ohh, the struggle -My heart loves you but my wallet .. not so much), and whip these beauties up instead!
As someone who eats CONSTANTLY (pretty much every 3-4 hours) and figuratively literally has food on her mind all the time, I always have something to munch on at hand. This usually amounts to baby carrots, almonds, cherry tomatoes, deli turkey, fruits, etc. But sometimes, it’s nice to make your own snacks, you know? I love knowing exactly what goes into my food and ultimately into my belly!
This version of bliss balls uses sunflower seed butter, a “seed butter” that has only recently entered my repertoire but it is one that became a fast favorite. It has a unique taste from its nut butter cousins (peanut, almond, cashew, etc.) but it definitely can hold its own in the flavor department. Sun butter is actually rather reminiscent of tahini but this is actually not too surprising given that they are both seeds with a high omega-3 fatty acid content.
The chocolate and coconut oil drizzle (or shell, if you’re feeling the more decadent route) adds the perfect hint of sweetness and crunch without being too overpowering.
I hope you try these energy balls, guys! They’re
easy to make
& ideal for curbing snack attacks!
With just 7 ingredients, one bowl, and minimal preparation required, these balls will truly leave you feeling blissful and carefree. I take these with me everywhere – to work, to the gym, when commuting, on flights, to the movies (shh!). Plus, I love how customizable they are! Don’t have sunflower seed butter? Substitute in a nut butter of your choice. Don’t like chocolate? Leave it out! (Seriously, though..?) Add-ins such as shredded coconut or dried fruit would also be delicious. The world is your oyster, friends.
I hope you love these as much as I do.
SUNBUTTER BLISS BALLS
Wholesome and delicious energy balls that are perfect as snacks on-the-go!
Serving size: 1 ball (makes 15)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal*
- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix oat flour, flaxmeal, and baking soda in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Add in the sunflower seed butter and honey and mix until well-combined and a dough forms.
- Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. The dough should yield ~15 balls.
- Place them in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm up.
- In the meantime, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the now-empty bowl and microwave for ~45 seconds, stirring in between at 15 second intervals, until the chocolate chips have completely melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate on the balls using a fork (or dunk them in the chocolate to completely cover them!) and return to the freezer for the chocolate to harden.
- Store in the freezer for long-term storage in an air-tight bag or container.
*Ground chia seeds can be used in lieu of flaxmeal (i.e. ground flax seeds).